Sunday, June 12, 2011

Interpretation of Lady Gaga's song " Edge of Glory"




Summary

The song speaks to me of how it is to be a witness to the last moments in the life of the person you love the most. And she's not just a witness, she's a companion, and a lover.


Edge=End/border/limit

Glory=Life


Edge of Glory= Final moment in Life

Research:

"One of the songs on the album that is truly one of my favorites, it's called 'Edge of Glory' and it's kind of a sad story. Sorry to be a downer. But my grandpa died about five months ago, and my dad and I were going to say goodbye to him at the hospital, and I got out a big thing of agave tequila and my dad sat next to me at the piano and we started to doing shots back and forth, and I wrote 'Edge of Glory' on the piano and my dad and I cried. The song's about your last moment on Earth, the moment of truth, the edge of glory is that moment right before you leave the Earth. So that song can be played on the piano, but it's actually set to this giant, huge, techno rock, Springsteen-esque dance beat. I actually had Clarence Clemons from the E Street Band come in and play saxophone on it. It's fucking beautiful."







I

"There ain't no reason you and me should be alone tonight
Yeah baby. Tonight, yeah baby
I gotta reason that you should take me home tonight
I need a man that thinks it's right when it's so wrong tonight
Yeah, baby. Tonight, yeah baby
Right on the limits where we know we both belong tonight"

Verse I talks about how she wants to be with him TONIGHT. She stressed tonight as if there will be no other nights to come.

(Line 4) She wants a man who sees the positivity even in the most negative of situations.

(Line 6) They're on the end of time,and they're together.

II

"It’s time to feel the rush,
To push the dangerous
I’m gonna run back to, to the edge with you
Where we can both fall in love"

(Line 1) They feel the end coming, that's why their adrenaline comes to rush.

(Line 2) They'll do everything that's not supposed to be done, or that's forbidden.

(Line 3,4) She'll spent with you her last moments and use those remaining moments to show you how she loves you.



III
"I’m on the edge of glory,
And I’m hanging on a moment of truth,
I’m on the edge of glory,
And I’m hanging on a moment with you,
I’m on the edge
The edge(6x)
I’m on the edge of glory
And I’m hanging on a moment with you
I’m on the edge with you"

(Line 1,3,5,7,9) [Edge of Glory- is the maxima(in calculus terms), it's the highest point of their love/relationship

(Line 2) [Moment of truth- the very cruxial moment of decision]

Verse III (Chorus) stresses on how they are on the highest point of their relationship that they want to end it there/to pause the moment/to capture the frame. It also talks about how she's hanging on a moment of truth, the deciding point. Will he die or will he survive?


IV
"Another shot, before we kiss the other side,
Tonight, yeah baby
Tonight, yeah baby
I’m on the edge of something final we call life tonight
Alright, alright
Pull out your shade ’cause I’ll be dancing in the flames
Tonight, yeah babe
Tonight, yeah babe

It isn't Hell if everybody knows my name"


(Line 1) Another shot- she wants to drink with him and forget their problem

before we kiss the other side- before he passes away

(Line 4) She's acknowledging the fact that she's witnessing something as beautiful as a life ending.

(Line 6,7) dancing in the flames- shows an image of the world ending in fire and she's dancing or treating the moment with joy as she is with him.

pull out your shade- a cheering phrase to him that her performance(dance) will be so bright that he needs to wear shades

an alternative meaning for the lines could be that she'd follow him even in hell and wouldn't mind the bother.



Reflection

This song is a very emotional song, in a depressing way. It reminded me of how I lost my father. I was with my brother. I was about 5, my brothers were 9 and 7 mos. old. Mom left to buy my father some medication. My eyes were laid on my father as I saw him suffer , he was coughing and coughing. I saw him lose his breath and fell to the floor. T'was 14 years ago.

1 comment: