Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Interpretation of Katy Perry's song "Teenage Dream"






Summary

The song is a dream(a daydream) of a girl who wants to find a sensible man who'll respect her, accept her downs and love her ups. A man who loves her no matter how she looks. The man she'll introduce to her family. And she's picturing her crush(possibly a jock-like in the video) to be that one.


Truly the dream of every teenager.




I
"You think I'm pretty
Without any make-up on
You think I'm funny
When I tell the punch line wrong
I know you get me
So I'll let my walls come down, down"


(line 1,2) He loves her inside look.
(Line 3,4) She doesn't need to make him laugh, because he's happy that they're together.
(Line 4,5) She trusts in him that he understands her, that she'll be start acting natural.


II
"Before you met me
I was a wreck
But things were kinda heavy
You brought me to life
Now every February
You'll be my valentine, valentine"



(Line 1) Before they really knew each other/ before they were together
(Line 2) She was a very different girl, or she acted different for him.
(Line 3) She thought she could keep it forever, but the relationship got deeper and deeper that she couldn't help but show her true colors.
(Line 4) Now she brought up her real self because of him.



III
"Let's go all the way tonight
No regrets, just love
We can dance until we die
You and I
We'll be young forever"



(Line 1,2) She wants their relationship to got to the next level.
(Line 3,4) They'll have fun. And it doesn't matter if they'll get in trouble for it, as long as their together.
(Line 5) They'll stop time.


IV
"You make me feel like
I'm living a Teenage Dream
The way you turn me on
I can't sleep
Let's runaway
And don't ever look back
Don't ever look back"


(Line 1,2,3) He fulfills her so much that it's as if everything is a dream.
(Line 4) She can't stop thinking about him , or She couldn't afford to sleep because the dream might end( It's as if the song was the dream. And when she said "She can't sleep", she really meant that she couldn't wake up.)
(Line 5) They'll leave reality.
(Line 6,7) And they'll stay in fantasy.


V
"My heart stops
When you look at me
Just one touch
Now baby I believe
This is real
So take a chance
And don't ever look back
Don't ever look back"



(Line 1,2) Remember the scene ,way back when, when your crush passes and you suddenly freeze, that's what happened to her.
(Line 3,4,5) And when he touched her, she really believed that he loves her. She thinks her fantasy is real.
(Line 6,7,8) That's why she'll make the move and she wont look back(change her mind)


VI
"We drove to Cali
And got drunk on the beach
Got a motel and
Built a fort out of sheets
I finally found you
My missing puzzle piece
I'm complete"



(Line 1) [note that Katy Perry was from Santa Barbara, California] She brought him to her parents
(Line 2, 3,4) They had fun,drinking. And then she offered herself to him, but then (I think) they quited the whole sex part and just played(Built a fort out of sheets)

If the girl was the one who quited sex- He'll get frustrated and they'd probably be silent the whole night.

If the guy was the one who quitted sex- to wait for marriage(or for some other reason)- The girl will be so happy that he found a man who respects her[Now this one's a teenage dream.].
(Line 5,6,7) She found a person who doesn't lust for her but truly loves her, and who'll one day marry her and complete her.






No comments:

Post a Comment