Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Interpretation of Fleetwood Mac's song Landslide




Summary

The song is about being in confused in a relationship. You're blaming yourself for shaking your relationship. You're then realizing all the things you've done and didn't do in that relationship. And you're willing to change and fill up the holes to keep that relationship strong. Time made you want to hold on to that person, and made you realize all your shortcomings and fix them.


I

"I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
’till the landslide brought me down"



(Line 1) He found his true love, but he let it down. He took their relationship for granted.

(Line 2) He did everything to be with her, and when he finally got to that point, he turned around from it.

(Line 3,4) He was there! He got to point of being in a relationship with her, until a situation made him fall apart. made THEM fall apart.


II
"Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love
Can the child within my heart rise above
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life"


(Line 1,2) He's asking himself, "What is love?" or what is it about being in love?

(Line 3) Is it possible for him to remain childish and immature in a relationship?

(Line 4) Or should he go with the flow. Should he change for the sake of their relationship?

(Line 5) Can he make it through the rain? Can they survive all these strifes in their relationship?


III

"Well, I’ve been afraid of changing
’Cause I’ve built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I’m getting older too"



(Line 1) He doesn't want to let go of his foolish/immature/childish ways.

(Line 2) (You-himself-mirror in the sky) He's talking to the mirror in the sky(Himself). He built his whole life being this kind of person. Even if he loves the person so much, he is still being childish/selfish/immature.

(Line 3,4,5) But as time passes by, he's realizing that he should grow up.



1 comment: